The update to bring in the limit will go to Android users first. iOS users will get the update shortly after (via Reuters). Prior to this, WhatsApp users could forward a message to 20 individual contacts or groups they are a member of.
A forwarding limit had previously been introduced in India. It happened in July after rumors spread on social media resulted in killings and attempted lynchings.
Facebook’s Stricter Political Advertising Rules
The move is part of attempts by Facebook, which owns WhatsApp, to stop fake news spreading on its platforms. Last Wednesday, it announced stricter rules on political advertising in countries holding elections in 2019. Only people in a country holding a vote will be allowed to buy political advertising there. The rollout started in Nigeria the day of the announcement.
- Instagram making it easier to recover a hacked account
- Irish regulator opens inquiry into Facebook password irregularities
- Facebook users less worried about privacy than regulators
- Google will release a TOR style highly encrypted Chrome Browser
- Facebook Stored Unprotected Passwords of Hundreds of Millions of Users